Learn How to Protect Your Family from Lead

Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home
lead based paint brochure.pdf
Adobe Acrobat document [669.7 KB]

When is a Building Permit Needed?


From replacing a water heater to building a new home, the question is always, “Do I need a building permit?”  Even small home improvement projects may require a building permit.  Faulty installations can cause fires, flood damage and other hazards, and also force you to make costly repairs when you sell your home.  Permits, and the inspections that come with them, protect your family’s safety and the value of your property by ensuring the work meets adopted building codes. 


Below is a list of projects that typically require a building permit.  Beside each project in parentheses is the department(s) that will need review approval prior to a permit being issued.  The Town currently enforces the 2015 edition of the International Building Codes.  Zoning Standards for residential properties can be found in the Town of Foxfield Municipal Code, posted on the website under Municipal Code.


The Town employs contractors to provide building inspections (SAFEbuilt), zoning review (SAFEbuilt Studio) and engineering services (SEH).  Their contact information is available on the Town’s website under “Departments”.

Note: This is not intended to be a complete list nor is it intended to cover all types of projects or conditions.  Depending upon the scope of the project, a permit application can be submitted online via email to the addresses on the Town’s website.  If the project is large enough, plans can be mailed to the department(s) doing the review.  For one-stop permits that do not require review (IE: reroofs, furnaces, lawn sprinklers), email an application to SAFEbuilt at the address on the site.  List of one-stop projects and plan review projects is below.


New buildings

NOTE: storage sheds under 120 square feet do not require a permit but are still required to meet setbacks

(Building: SAFEbuilt) 

(Zoning: SAFEbuilt Studio) 

(Engineering: SEH)

Standards for setbacks for residential structures may be found in the Municipal Code, Sec.16-2-50 Large Lot Rural Residential District (RR) “C” 5,6,7


(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Patio covers, carports

(Building: SAFEbuilt)


(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Fireplaces, gas log installations or replacements

(Building: SAFEbuilt)


(Building: SAFEbuilt) NOTE:  Solid fences that may alter drainage will be reviewed by SEH in addition to Safebuilt.

Standards for residential fences can be found on the Town's website in the Municipal Code, under Sec.16-3-60 Fences, Berms and Sound Walls in Residential Areas

Retaining wall over 4 feet in height measured from bottom of footing to top of wall

(Building: SAFEbuilt) NOTE:  ALL retaining walls shall be reviewed by SEH regardless of height

Lawn sprinkler systems connection to (POTABLE) water supply

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Prefabricated swimming pools over 24 inches deep, hot tubs and spas

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Replacement or addition of siding, stucco, brick, etc.

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Patio enclosures

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Furnace / Air conditioners / Water heater / Boiler installations or replacement

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Solar panels

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

Demolition of structures that would require a permit to construct

(Building: SAFEbuilt)


Interior renovations:

•Basement finish

•Kitchen remodeling

•Electrical modifications

•Plumbing modifications

•Structural modifications

•Full building window replacements (if change in dimensions)

(Building: SAFEbuilt)

NOTE:  PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL interior remodels that involve alteration to existing floor plan, structural changes such as the addition or removal of walls, addition or removal of doors or windows, new or relocated plumbing or electrical fixtures, new or relocated ductwork.





Signs / Banners

(Zoning: SAFEbuilt Studio). NOTE:  Illuminated signs require a building permit for the electrical work, freestanding signs incorporating footings also require a building permit through SAFEbuilt.

Earthen Berms

(Engineering: SEH) Sec.16-3-60 Fences, berms and sound walls in residential areas

Work in the Town Right of Way

Consult with SEH for any work in the Town ROW.


One-Stop Permits

  • Water Heater
  • Furnace Installation
  • Air Conditioning
  • Re-roof
  • Siding/Stucco
  • Demolition
  • Gas Fireplace
  • Window Replacement
  • Water/Sewer Line
  • Lawn Sprinkler
  • Electrical Service Change 400 Amps or less

Plan Review Permits

  • New Residential Remodel/Addition
  • Deck/Patio
  • Detached Garage
  • Shed/Pole Barn
  • Solar Energy
  • In Ground Swimming Pools
  • Hot Tubs and Spas if supported by structure; if on slab no review required, just an electrical permit.
  • Patio Covers
  • Patio Enclosures
  • Greenhouses
  • Wind Turbines


The following projects do NOT require a permit:

•           Replacement of (like-for-like) existing cabinets, countertops, tiling, flooring

•           Replacement of (like-for-like) existing electrical, plumbing fixtures

•           Exterior and interior painting

•           Appliances that plug in without performing additional work

•           Security alarm systems

•           Concrete flat work outside of Town right-of-way

•           Door or window replacement if no change in dimensions

•           Children’s playground equipment


 Please call the building department (SAFEbuilt) if you don’t find your project listed at 303-518-9760.

Print Print | Sitemap
Town of Foxfield, Colorado